Random thoughts / ideasCompleted
* When adding a device, default “Service Level” should be “Undefined” IMHO. And “In Service” box should be not selected by default. Device42 cannot know how you treat this new device in your environment. It can be iLO port for new server, which is not in service and production for now.
* There seems to be a problem with the VLAN merge feature - when trying to merge several VLANs, only two of them get merged (so, for example, when merging six VLANs, the operation has to be repeated five times).
* It would be great if Device42 could automatically associate MAC addresses with their corresponding VLANs after the VLAN scan is completed (if this is at all possible).
* A useful feature would be subnet grouping - for example, if I have multiple subnets for various branches of one type, multiple subnets for branches of other type, and some miscellaneous subnets (data centers, management or whatever else), and each of those can be summarized into a larger subnet (say, /13), I would like to have the ability to create my own "root subnet" for each of the subnet group. In such case, when I open the subnet menu or the subnet tree, I would see fewer subnets and it would make it much easier for me to navigate (especially when there are hundreds of small subnets).
* It would be great if subnet or IP address discovery/scan could be run directly from the web interface. Currently I can only run a global scan and there is a standalone tool which allows me to do what I require, but the problem with the tool is that it is not really user friendly to have a separate tool for such a trivial task (especially when the tool doesn't really display the scan results within itself and I have to open the web interface to view them), and it isn't always an option to have the necessary firewall rules in place to be able to perform the scans from an administrator's workstation (of which there can be quite a few in an organization) - it is much easier to create the necessary firewall rules for a single server hosting Device42.
Different Service level: Good point. May be having an option to choose a different service level as default vs. production would work better?
VLAN merge issue: This was fixed in interim release 4.3.3(available for current customers). This fix will be out in next public release.
MAC and VLAN association: If your switch is in the supported matrix for L2 devices , This will work using SNMP network discovery. Feel free to open a support ticket if your device is supported and you are still having issues.
Subnet grouping: This is a good idea.
Running discovery from device42: SNMP network discovery is internal to device42 and it can be scheduled to get latest IP/MAC info using the ARP table of the network device. There are no immediate plans to add ping sweep tool internal to device42 appliance.0
Please sign in to leave a comment.