Our biggest reason for looking at Device42 is our unhappiness with existing products and a gaping hole in IT Runbook/network documentation management. We need a tool that can do a few things. After installing and getting Device42 (aka, D42) up and running this tool should:
1. Allow us to setup the environment. Racks/DMARC goes into Rooms, Rooms into Buildings.
2. Autodiscover the environment into "objects". 99% should be found. 1% should be manually entered.
3. Decide what to manage/monitor for change. Application/software level to hardware/network level.
4. Provide a place to document the details of each object, including configuration of the device, circuit ID, description, etc.
5. Generate a document (MS Word, PDF, etc.) that can be printed and serve as the written run book for the facilty.
This tool should emphasize automation. Right this second, there is still a heavy reliance on importing information in and keeping D42 updated. Too much time is being spent double entering information between our network management tool (Manage Engine's OpManager) and Device42.
We really can't proceed with our D42 implementation until we see a more robust automation between autodiscovering devices, snmp data gathering, and managing IPAM.
Very anxious to see what's next, but a bummed as we just paid for licenses and won't get ROI until these milestones are reached.
Please sign in to leave a comment.