This topic will cover updating categories on Devices using the Import/Export tool. Categories are used to group a set of devices together. They can also be used in a Multitenancy environment to split up permissions for objects. For more information on Multitenancy, please click here.
Sample Use Case
You would like to define which team in your IT department is responsible for a device. You have a "Windows Team", "Linux Team", "Network Team", and "Storage Team".
Define your categories
- In DataCenter > Object Categories.
- Click Add Object Category.
- Enter in "Windows Team" in the Name field.
- Enter a brief Description if desired.
- Repeat for any other categories you need.
Export your current devices to an Excel spreadsheet
- In Tools > Import/Export (xls).
- Find the Create or update devices import.
- Click on Download Current Data.
Modify spreadsheet header, enter in new data, and import.
- Find column "object_category". Modify this to be "new_object_category". This field is required when updating existing categories and can also be used to set a new one.
- Enter in the category for device. (Certain columns hidden for brevity).
- Save the spreadsheet and then navigate to Tools > Import/Export (xls).
- Click on Choose File under Upload Excel file. Select your recently modified Excel file.
- Click Import.
- You will now see the updated Device category.