We are excited to announce the addition of affinity groups in Device42 v15.03.00!
- You may already be familiar with Device42’s auto-discovery, which gathers comprehensive details about your hardware, software, services, and the underlying infrastructure that supports them all, clearly identifying and highlighting the interdependencies. This information could already be consumed in a variety of ways: topology and tree views, advanced reports, and many more.
- With v15.03.00, comprehensive auto-discovered infrastructure data is further leveraged to automatically group your interdependent servers and services into “Affinity Groups”. Affinity Groups make planning for migrations, maintenance, disaster recovery (DR), and business continuity easier than ever before, eliminating any guesswork around dependency accounting. Once populated, view affinity group data in the “Apps” menu → “Affinity Groups”:
Affinity groups for migrations
- Looking to migrate or consolidate your or your customers’ data center, either to another facility, the same facility, or to the cloud? Whether you or your customer is looking to start small, to consolidate, to add capacity or redundancy, or to go all in on the cloud, Device42’s new affinity groups are here to help.
- Affinity groups provide built-in move group recommendations, analyzing your infrastructure to let you know what applications and services you can safely move together, ensuring you don’t miss a single dependency.
- You could even choose to follow up affinity group recommendations with information gleaned from the cloud recommendation engine, ensuring you both right-size your target cloud instances and discover which cloud platform can run your workloads most economically, leaving nothing to chance!
Affinity groups for maintenance planning
- Affinity groups help to automate another step of the maintenance planning process, too. Use affinity groups to determine exactly which other machines or services will be affected by a planned maintenance, and the information is output in a clear, easy to digest format.
- Ready to get started? Head to Advanced Reporting and export the pre-defined “Affinity Group Analysis” report and then head to https://movegroups.device42.io to process your exported affinity group data.
Affinity groups for dev environments
- Remove trial-and-error and guesswork from the equation when it comes time to stand up a new developer environment. Leverage affinity groups to get the important information you need, and never miss a dependency again. Stand up exactly what your dev needs, no more, and no less.
Upcoming integration with Zerto for better BC/DR
- Keep an eye out for our upcoming integration with Zerto, bringing automatic business continuity and disaster recovery functionality to the Device42 platform! The upcoming integration will help to make the process of adding one more machine (or three) to your replicated/DR environment seamless!
- No more worrying about remembering to configure the application and/or manually start replication! More on this integration to come!
SNMP Autodiscovery Support Additions
- This release also includes expanded SNMP autodiscovery support:
- Geist legacy PDUs
- Raritan Dominion PX PDUs
- Synology NAS devices
- HP DL360 Generation 10 servers.
- If you have a device that you’d like us to support for SNMP discovery, let us know at email@example.com. If you happen to have the MIB, please include it!
- Windows discovery did not support port names longer than 32 characters. Fixed.
- Cisco ASA SSH Auto-discovery was failing. Fixed.
- Tap ports were not properly displayed in connectivity path. Fixed.
- Microsoft volume license product key might not be discovered properly. Fixed.
- Dell M100e attached blades were not being discovered. Fixed.
- Appliance manager healthstats API could generate an error. Fixed.
Link to our blog - https://www.device42.com/blog/2018/05/affinity-groups-in-v15-03-00/