Version 15 has a new underlying architecture, with that said you will need to migrate to a new appliance. The established cut off release for migration is 14.17.1, and you must be on 14.17.1 to update to version 15. 14.7.1 will be the only release that meets the prerequisites for a cut over to v15.
v15 Install & Upgrade Steps:
Version 14.17.1 restores only work to Version 15.00 and not any later version.
*Note: It is mandatory to install to a development environment, and not directly to production. We will be unable to retrieve data for customers who do not follow these directions. If in doubt, email email@example.com*
1) Please update your production appliance to 14.17.1. Update any existing legacy power appliance jobs to SNMP power jobs using the migration function under TOOLS → Auto-Discovery → Power (SNMP). See the v14.17.1 release announcement for details.
2) Run a backup of your data (including metadata) from v14.17.1; Save your backup .ENC file!
3) You may download version 15 by contacting us. Spin up a new version 15 blank instance, and restore your 14.17.1 backup to this new instance. If you had made optimizations to your existing appliance, see the note that follows. If you have any registration issues or need a copy of your license, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Customization note: A lot of you have had made optimizations to the appliance (vRAM/vCPU increases, vdisk expansions, and/or API related performance changes). Schedule a call with us to work with support to apply those changes to your new appliance before restoring your data and especially before you cut over to PROD!*
You may book some time with us to handle optimizations by emailing email@example.com
You should now have a development instance running on v15 with your data restored from version 14.17 intact. Now is a good time to do some testing and make sure you don't have any issues.
Once you have done some testing, feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns and we'll be glad to help.
Did you migrate your power jobs? The legacy power appliance has been officially deprecated, and *will cease to function* with v15. As mentioned above, ensure you have cut over to the RC power. There is a menu option to do this in version 14.17.1, it will move your existing power jobs to a remote collector.
The RC will automatically update to v15 when it is connected to your main appliance. They have been using CentOS from before v15 so there will not be any changes needed to them.
Plan your production cut-over
If you have completed the above, it’s now a good time to plan your Production cutover.
We suggest dedicating a 2 hour (or longer) maintenance window, preferably during Device42 support hours [9am-6pm EST M-F].
We can arrange to be available at different times with advanced notice; please open a Support Ticket.
We strongly recommend that when you cut over to v15, you utilize the same IP address your current production appliance uses to avoid having to re-create firewall settings, therefore minimizing other required adjustments.
If you have ANY other questions, concerns, or comments, email email@example.com
Now for a summary of the cutover steps:
- Backup your current PROD 14.17.1 appliance and keep the ENC file in a safe place
- Re-IP your Production appliance to something other than the current PROD IP
- Restore the backup to the Dev appliance which will essentially make it the production appliance
- Give the new production appliance the IP of the old production appliance and apply your current license key (If you have any registration issues or need a copy of your license, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Make sure you can access the new production appliance and do some testing
- Also, make sure you keep the old production appliance around for a week or two (Shutdown) in case you need to revert back
Enjoy v15, and happy upgrading!
Article is closed for comments.